Last Updated on May 27, 2021 by Juliette Sebock | An Ideal Life
Like so many posts here on I’ve written, the story behind this recipe take place in England. Really, avocado toast was my primary sustenance while living abroad (save, perhaps, for chips with a drizzle of vinegar)! Whether I met up with a friend for brunch at Boston Tea Party or needed a filling breakfast before class, it was quick and delicious! Over time, I’ve made my avocado toast recipe my own.Jump to Recipe
The amounts below are largely estimated, since I “wing it” every time. That being said, this recipe is extremely customisable. Originally, I topped it with a light sprinkle of red pepper flakes, but I soon realised I prefer it without. I’d occasionally try it with a bit of cumin or chili, but this is plenty delicious topping-free. When I later discovered Aldi’s Who Needs the Bagel? seasoning, it was my go-to for a while. That’s the version pictured below!
In short, adjust to your heart’s content! A drizzle of sriracha would add some tasty spice, or you could add some other veggies for something even more nutritious. Or, try my tempeh-topped vegan bacon avocado toast for a version with more bulk and smoky flavour.
Basic Avocado Toast
- 1 avocado large, ripe
- 2 slices bread
- 3/4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice approximately
- 1/2 tsp salt approximately
- 1/2 tsp cumin approximately
- 1/2 tsp chili powder approximately
- 1/2 tsp paprika approximately
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder approximately; can substitute garlic salt, but I usually hold the regular salt!
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper optional
- 1 pinch everything bagel seasoning optional
- Toast bread.
- While toasting, halve avocado and scoop out the fruit. Mash with fork.
- Add oil and lemon juice, combine.
- Add salt, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Scoop out half of the avocado mixture and spread on toast. Add remaining mixture to second piece of toast.
- Top with crushed red pepper flakes, everything bagel seasoning, or your preferred topping, if desired.
Tried it? Let us know what you think and be sure to share your version of my basic avoocado toast in the comments below or @anideallifeblog!