Last Updated on May 27, 2021 by Juliette Sebock | An Ideal Life
Ages ago, I stumbled across a vegan caprese recipe that substituted avocado for cheese and I was hooked. I’ve adapted my recipe time and again, settling on what I think might be the final product: vegan caprese pasta salad.Jump to Recipe
As you probably know from recipes like my salad stuffed shells, I really like pasta salad. I’m also a huge avocado fan (like in our brunch-worthy avocado toast!). Put together? Nothing but *heart eyes*.
I love this homemade dressing with it, but you can easily substitute your favourite store-bought, vegan-friendly Mediterranean dressing! If I’m short on time, I’ll use Aldi’s Greek vinaigrette.
This recipe is super customizable in that you can really adjust the amounts (and type/shape of pasta!) to fit your preference. Love tomatoes? Add more tomato! Really like the aesthetic of farfalle? Go for it.
Vegan Caprese Pasta Salad
- 1 box pasta, cooked and cooled
- 1-2 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp basil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- If not done beforehand, cook pasta as directed on box. Allow to chill while preparing dressing and vegetables.
For the dressing:
- Combine ingredients in mason jar or vessel of choice
- Shake or stir to thoroughly combine
- Refrigerate until ready for use.
For pasta salad:
- Half (or quarter, if you prefer!) grape tomatoes and set aside.
- Dice avocado.
- Remove dressing from refrigerator and pour over pasta. You can adjust the amount as desired - save any extra for a salad! I tend to use about 1/2 of the dressing made here.
- Fold in tomatoes and avocado slices.
- Chill for at least half an hour before serving (the longer it rests, the more dressing is absorbed by the pasta and veggies!).
I haven’t tried it myself yet, but I think this would be really good with some fresh basil added in as well, to really up the caprese factor! I also plan to try this with gluten-free pasta in the not-so-distant future.
Tried our vegan caprese pasta salad? Let us know your thoughts in the comments or @anideallifeblog, especially if you put your own unique twist in the dish!