I love avocado toast. My basic avocado toast recipe is usually enough to satisfy the craving, but sometimes I want to craft something “fancier.” Whether it’s a relaxing Sunday brunch or a breakfast option with extra protein before a busy day, this tempeh-topped vegan bacon avocado toast is a delicious version of this millennial favourite. Admittedly, I very much fit that cliche.
*This post may include affiliate or referral links. At no extra cost to you (and with a special reader discount, in some cases!), I’ll receive a small commission or other rewards to help support An Ideal Life. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases*Jump to Recipe
For a low-spoon, wait-free version of this recipe, you could use Lightlife’s smoky tempeh strips as your “bacon.” I haven’t tried it in this context, but I love them on their own! I have no doubt this would be just as tasty.
Or, you could switch out this simple avocado mash with the seasoned version from our brunch-worthy avocado toast. This version is ready for brunch already, but the extra flavour would take it up a notch!
Similarly, feel free to use the tempeh bacon from this recipe as a side for your other favourite brunch dishes. It’s plenty delicious on its own, too, of course.
Add a hot sauce drizzle or make your version of a vegan BLT. Make this recipe your own! All that matters is that you love the final, tasty result.
Vegan Bacon-Topped Avocado Toast
- Skillet or griddle
- 1 package tempeh sliced thin
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice optional
- 8 slices bread of choice
Vegan Bacon Marinade
- 1/2 cup soy sauce or substitute
- 3/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp maple syrup sugar-free, if desired
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- black pepper to taste
- paprika to taste
- nutritional yeast optional, for topping
- Combine marinade ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Coat tempeh slices in sauce, ensuring each slice is submerged. Allow them to soak for at least half an hour, but preferably an hour or longer for optimal flavor.
- Grease skillet, if necessary and cook tempeh “bacon” over medium-high heat.
- Toast chosen bread. While it’s toasting, mash avocado, adding lemon juice to preserve colour if desired.
- Top toast with mashed avocado, then finish with slices of tempeh bacon.
- Optional: Sprinkle with nutritional yeast.
- Serve & enjoy!
Let us know in the comments if you’ve tried this vegan bacon-topped avocado toast, or tag us @anideallifeblog on your favourite social media platform!