Like many people, I enjoy a cold sandwich option come summertime. It’s just too darn warm out to eat many hot options. And turning on the oven to cook? Ugh. For non-vegans, these are often made with simple deli meats or chicken, tuna, or egg salads. We vegans can use substitutes like Tofurky’s deli slices to replicate an omni sandwich. And, if you’ve used our referral link to order them through Instacart, you’ve saved $10 in the process! Or, we’ll use out signature creativity to come up with recipes like chickpea “tuna” or tofu “egg” salad…or this white bean-avocado salad.Jump to Recipe
My go-to white bean-avocado salad can be eaten in a sandwich. But, really, the options are endless. This would be great atop a standard green salad, over toast, or even as a dip, especially if mashed a little extra! I’ve put guac on tortilla chips, I’ve put bean dips and hummus on tortilla chips, but not this white bean-avocado salad (yet)!
However you serve, I genuinely think you’ll enjoy this gluten-free/vegan recipe. The creamy avocado blends beautifully with the mashed beans, while the dijon and basil lend it a remarkable spice. Even the lemon juice, included primarily to keep the avocado from browning, offers a refreshing tang!
As with any of my recipes, I encourage you to add, substitute, and otherwise adjust the ingredients and methods to make a dish you’ll absolutely love. Be sure to share in the comments or @anideallifeblog if you find an especially tasty version of this or another An Ideal Life recipe!
White Bean-Avocado Salad
- Potato masher or large fork
- 2 15 oz. cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed or alternate white bean of choice
- 2-3 avocados diced adjust according to size of fruits & personal preference
- 1 tbsp dried basil or substitute 2-3 tbsp fresh basil
- 1/4-1/2 cup dijon mustard to taste
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt, pepper, or preferred spices optional, to taste
- Toss diced avocado in lemon juice to coat thoroughly.
- Mash half of the white beans thoroughly, until mostly smooth.
- Add avocado and remaining white beans to the puree and stir lightly to combine.
- Begin mashing the mixture, then add dijon and basil or additional herbs.
- Continue mashing, making sure to evenly distribute spices.
- Chill until ready to serve, then enjoy atop a green salad, on a sandwich, over toast, or as a tasty dip!
Serve this at your next summer picnic or whip up a batch for an easy lunch. However you make it, it’s sure to be delicious!