My family has been making variations of this simple, budget-friendly bean soup for decades. It’s been passed through generations with a swap or two every few years. As I was growing up, it was an absolute staple during our family picnics! Most recently, my mom and I set out to make this family recipe vegan. Today, I’m sharing the “secret” with you!
Getting the right ingredients
Hurst’s bean soup mix offers a batch of 15 different beans, adding plenty of dimension to this soup. Even better, Hurst writes, “Currently, none of our seasonings contain animal products. Therefore, you can use our entire line of products in vegetarian recipes with delicious results.” This means the included seasoning packet is perfect for this meal! If you purchase a different brand, any vegan ham flavoured broth base can be added to taste. Or you can even substitute the water in this recipe for vegetable broth.
Like your soups extra creamy? Use an immersion blender on a portion of the soup. Prefer a bit of bite? Skip that step and enjoy your bean soup whole. Add your vegan bean soup to a bowl or mug and top it with some freshly ground black pepper or your spice of choice.
When to serve this vegan BEAN SOUP
While I always associate this soup with summertime thanks to our family tradition, it’s also perfect for winter. Can you imagine coming home from the cold to a crockpot of this waiting and steaming? Cosy and delicious!
A snowy winter day by the fire or a breezy summer afternoon at a picnic, this vegan bean soup offers homey flavour, room for customisation, and enough bulk to fill you up on its own. Or, it can be the perfect complement to the rest of a meal!
Mom’s Bean Soup Made Vegan
- Immersion blender (optional)
- one 20 oz. bag mixed beans soaked overnight
- vegan ham seasoning to taste (if not included with beans)
- 2-3 cans whole new potatoes, halved or quartered according to personal preference
- black pepper to taste (sprinkle just before serving)
- 8 cups water approximately
- Drain your soaked beans and add to the pot, along with water, potatoes, and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for at least one hour.
- Serve with black pepper and enjoy!
If you try this vegan bean soup, be sure to let us know in the comments or at @anideallifeblog. We’re so excited to see this family recipe move on to others!